I had a comment on my blog (from Carthik, thus the honest reply) about “any compelling reason why I *should* switch” from MT to WordPress. I can provide plenty.
1) MT is commercialized – “too popular” can be a bad thing
2) Almost every consequential “plug-in” for MT is available for WordPress
3) WordPress has comment moderation built in, which translates to zero comment spam.
4) WordPress has a very supportive and extrememly active and zealous (and might I add, united) developer and support community.
5) MT is perl, WP is PHP (which can be good or bad)
6) You need to rebuild pages with MT, WP is all dynamic
7) In excess of just rebuilding pages, MT lags in trackbacks and pingbacks because of the rebuild
8) MT, in my opinion, can be a slight hinderance to the art of blog authoring. You can easily get lost in the deluge of plug-ins, settings and other frills. (I know this is the case from a couple of new bloggers I have helped setup with MT)
9) There is VERY active development in WP. We code new crap everyday!
10) WP 1.0 is powerful, fast, easy to customize and starting to get VERY well documented.
11) WP is put out by a bunch of people in their free time, not part of a corporation’s agenda. This gives WP freedom of choice.
12) WP spits out extremely standards compliant code
13) WP has a built-in blogroll feature (with recently updated blogs)
14) You can edit a post or a comment if you are looking at your own blog, much like a portal
Multiple categories per post MT has had that for a while, thanks Dennis and Michel
ATOM feed support MT 2.65 has ATOM support – thanks Frankie
17) Password Protected posts
18) By popular request, WP is free software
19) WP has built in XFN support
I am sure I will think of a bunch more while this is in the back of my head. I would LOVE to get some comments on this.
Here is the link to a features comparison between b2, WP0.72 and WP1.0 None of the features mentioned above are hacks. They are all part of the default installation of WordPress 1.0
Pssst Carthik: WP has an “import from MT” tool…
Please look at this list for a more detailed list of new features.